Glasgow, Scotland

Your last stop on the road trip through Scotland is Glasgow. Since its founding along the River Clyde by Saint Mungo in the 6th century, this Lowlands city has become Scotland’s largest.

Share this
View MAP

1 Main Building at the University of Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland

From its founding in the mid-15h century until about 1870, the University of Glasgow conducted classes in various locations around the city. A replacement campus was then designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the West End on Gilmorehill. Their Main Building along South Front is not only spectacular but also the second largest Gothic Revival building in the United Kingdom. The 279 foot bell tower was added in 1891 by Scott’s son. The university has more than 25,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students.

5 University Avenue, Glasgow G12 8NN, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

2 Memorial Chapel at University of Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland

The University of Glasgow was founded in 1451 at the suggestion of King James II and authorized in a Latin document called a Papal Bull from Pope Nicholas V. This makes the university the fourth oldest in the English-speaking world. That was over 475 years before the Memorial Chapel seen on the right was built. The Scots Gothic design was the work of architect Sir John Burnet. The interfaith chapel’s name is a tribute to the students who died while serving in the World Wars. On the left are a Hospitality Services, a café called The Square and part of the Adams Smith Business School. All are part of the West Quadrangle.

9 Professors' Square, Glasgow G12, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

3 Wellington Church in Glasgow, Scotland

When this church resembling a Roman temple was built along University Street in 1884, it served the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland. The architect was Thomas Lennox Watson. The Wellington Church is now part of the Church of Scotland serving the residents in Hillhead and students from the University of Glasgow. It is named after Wellington Street where the congregation had built an earlier church in 1828.

73 Southpark Ave, Glasgow G12, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

4 Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow, Scotland

This Spanish Baroque, red sandstone building by architects John Simpson and Edmund Allen is stunning inside and out. It opened in 1901 as part of the six-month Glasgow International Exhibition. The Palace of Fine Arts was then converted into the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. The collection includes 8,000 objects in 22 galleries of historical artifacts and armaments, excavated wildlife plus art by famous European masters such as Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Monet. Best of all, admission is free. Surprisingly, this glorious façade was designed as the gallery’s backside (although it now serves as the main entrance). The original entry faced Kelvingrove Park where the exhibition was held.

1385 Argyle St, Glasgow G3 8AG, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

5 Centre Hall and Organ of Kelvingrove Art Gallery in Glasgow, Scotland

After entering Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum from Argyle Street, you are immediately rewarded with this spectacular view of Centre Hall. The chandeliers (called electroliers) and sunlight streaming through the windows illuminates the ornate walls constructed from Giffnock sandstone. Among the arches are carved shields with the names of famous composers. Most spectacular is the pipe organ by Lewis and Co. It is encased in walnut and accented with cherub figures blowing trumpets.

1385 Argyle St, Glasgow G3 8AG, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

6 Kelvingrove Park Footbridge in Glasgow, Scotland

This red, sandstone pedestrian bridge arches over the River Kelvin as it flows through Kelvingrove Park. The 85 acre, tree-lined park was designed in 1852 by gardener Sir Joseph Paxton. It has hosted the Glaswegian Exhibition in 1888, the Glasgow International Exhibition in 1901 and the Scottish Exhibition ten years later. The greenspace is popular among Glaswegians, students attending nearby University of Glasgow and tourists visiting Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. It is also home to abundant wildlife.

Kelvingrove Park, Kelvin Way, Glasgow G12 8QQ, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

7 Lord Roberts Monument in Glasgow, Scotland

At the east end of Kelvingrove Park near Park Circus is the equestrian bronze statue of Lord Roberts. The British Field Marshal is best known for suppressing the Indian Rebellion of 1857. After successfully leading several other military campaigns, he became Commander-in-Chief of the Forces from 1901 until the position was abolished in 1904. On the left is Victoria, the Roman goddess of victory. Below her is the inscription, “By virtue of courage.”

Kelvingrove Park, Glasgow G3 6DL, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

8 Park Circus in Glasgow, Scotland

Park Circus is a group of curved buildings forming an oval encircling a small greenspace. They were designed in the mid-19th century by Charles Wilson as prestigious townhouses. Over the years, they became institutional and association offices. The terraced complex sits atop Woodlands Hills overlooking Kelvingrove Park in the center of the Park District.

1 Park Circus, Glasgow G3 6AX, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

9 Former Trinity College in Glasgow, Scotland

This impressive, Italian-inspired campanile is one of three adorning the Free Church College when it opened in 1856. It was designed by Charles Wilson, the same architect who planned most of the elite Park District during the mid-19th century. The theological school became Trinity College in 1930 and moved out in 1976. After an extensive renovation, the building reopened in 1986 as apartments named the Trinity House.

30 Lynedoch Pl, Glasgow G3 6AN, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

10 Former Park Church in Glasgow, Scotland

This bell tower crowned with spires was formerly the Park Church, designed by J. T. Rochead and built in 1858. It was a major landmark of the Park District. Unfortunately, most of the building was razed in 1968 to accommodate a new office building. The clash of architectural styles is unfortunate as this tower is beautiful. Since then it has been converted into the Park House with about 50 apartments.

1 Lynedoch Pl, Glasgow G3, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

11 Cameron Memorial Fountain in Glasgow, Scotland

This 27 foot, terracotta water fountain with clock by architect Robert Bryden was erected in 1896, a year after Sir Charles Cameron ended his 21 years as a member of Parliament. Cameron is best known for passing laws against inebriation and liquor reforms. The Cameron Memorial Fountain is at the intersection of Sauchiehall Street and Woodside Crescent.

1 Woodside Cres, Glasgow G3 7UL, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

12 St Andrew’s Halls Atlantes in Glasgow, Scotland

The façade of St Andrew’s Halls has a set of four caryatids (female supporting columns) resembling the “Porch of Maidens” on the Erechtheum at the Acropolis in Athens. The male version is called an atlas in Greece architecture or telamon in Roman. The primary sculptor for these realistic atlantes was John Mossman II.

8 Granville St, Glasgow G3 7EE, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

13 St Andrew’s Halls in Glasgow, Scotland

The classic design of St Andrew’s Halls was the work of a 30-year-old junior architect named James Sellars. Inside was the Grand Hall for concerts plus several other rooms for meetings and events. The building was gutted during a devastating fire in 1962. Fortunately, this ornate façade facing Granville Street was salvaged. After an extensive rebuilding project, it became the grand entry of The Mitchell Library’s Extension Building.

8 Granville St, Glasgow G3 7EE, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

14 Gurdwara Singh Sabha in Glasgow, Scotland

Sikhism is an India-based religion. It has grown to twenty million worldwide followers since being founded in the 15th century. They believe in One Immortal Being and the Ten Gurus. The first Sikh to arrive in Scotland was Maharaja Daleep Singh in 1855. Glasgow’s Central Gurdwara was founded in 1981. This salmon colored building with three onion domes was recently constructed on Berkeley Street.

186 Berkeley St, Glasgow G3 7HS, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

15 Charing Cross Mansions in Glasgow, Scotland

The Charing Cross Mansions were built in 1891 based on the design of John James Burnet. The eight figures surrounding the clock were sculpted by William Birnie Rhind. The Victorian neighborhood just west of this sandstone tenement was demolished during the 1970’s to make way for the M8 motorway. Fortunately, this red sandstone curved building at Sauchiehall Street and St George’s Road remains.

10 St George's Rd, Glasgow, G3 6UJ, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

16 Templeton on the Green in Glasgow, Scotland

This Venetian Gothic design was patterned after the western façade of Doge’s Palace in Venice. James Templeton, the owner of a carpet manufacturing company, hired William Leiper to create this stunning, red brick factory. It has been a prominent landmark adjacent to Glasgow Green since it opened in 1892. In 1984, the Scottish Development Company converted it into the Templeton Business Centre. In 2013, the former carpet mill was transformed again and renamed Templeton on the Green. The refurbished facility contains offices and apartments.

64 Templeton St, Glasgow G40, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

17 People’s Palace at Glasgow Green in Glasgow, Scotland

This Victorian glass conservatory called The Winter Gardens is attached to the People’s Palace at Glasgow Green. The palace, designed by architect Alexzander McDonald, opened in 1898. Inside is a social history museum tracing life in Glasgow from 1750 through the 20th century.

Glasgow Green, Templeton St, Glasgow G40 1AT, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

18 Doulton Fountain at Glasgow Green in Glasgow, Scotland

This close up of the Doulton Fountain in Glasgow Green shows two statues by John Broad representing India as well as Glasgow’s crest and motto. Similar allegories are displayed representing Canada, Australia and South Africa. The enormous (46 feet high by 70 feet wide) terracotta fountain by Arthur Edward Pearce was created in 1888 to help celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. She is best known as the United Kingdom’s longest reigning monarch. She also was the Empress of India from 1876 until 1901.

Greendyke Street, Saltmarket, Glasgow G1 5DB, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

19 Pipe Bridge and Tidal Weir at Glasgow Green in Glasgow, Scotland

The River Clyde is Scotland’s second longest at 109 miles. The river was responsible for establishing the location of Glasgow and helped it become a major seaport, shipbuilder and trade center. It has also been historically challenging to control. Since 1772, six weirs have been built to regulate flow and flooding. The current Pipe Bridge and Tidal Weir was constructed in 1949. It offers a peaceful backdrop to people enjoying Glasgow Green.

Glasgow Green, Templeton St, Glasgow G40 1AT, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

20 McLennan Arch at Glasgow Greens in Glasgow, Scotland

The McLennan Arch was part of the Assembly Rooms when erected by Robert and James Adams in 1796. The building was torn down in 1892 but part of its grand facade was salvaged by benefactor James McLennan. This arch has been moved to three locations in 1894, 1922 and finally the Glasgow Green in 1991. Look closely and you will see a relief of Apollo playing the lyre between the two left Ionic columns.

Glasgow Green, Templeton St, Glasgow G40 1AT, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

21 St Andrew’s in the Square in Glasgow, Scotland

This exquisite, Georgian style by Allan Dreghorn was St Andrew’s Parish Church when it opened in 1756, making it one of the city’s oldest. It has a portico defined by Corinthian columns, the town’s motto “Let Glasgow Flourish” in the pediment plus the gold and blue clock face similar to other towers in Merchant City. The last Presbyterian service here was in 1993. After an extensive renovation by the Glasgow Building Preservation Trust, it reopened in 2000 as St Andrew’s in the Square. It is leased to the Centre for Scottish Culture and is a popular venue for weddings and special events.

1 St Andrew's Square, Calton, Glasgow G1 5PP, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

22 Tolbooth Steeple in Glasgow, Scotland

When this Tolbooth Steeple was built in 1626, the 126 foot tower was part of the Glasgow Council Chamber. During the next three centuries, this city’s core called Glasgow Cross became the main district for merchant warehouses and residences. They thrived while trading commodities including tea, sugar and tobacco and later produce. After this neighborhood fell into decline, the city purchased many of the buildings to make way for a major roadway that never happened. So, during the 1980s, they began a redevelopment effort including a new moniker of “Merchant City.” Now this wonderful old clock tower at the intersection of five streets is surrounded by restaurants, entertainment and retailers.

17 High St, Glasgow G1 1LX, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

23 Mercat Building in Glasgow, Scotland

The Glasgow Cross area, now called Merchant City, is surrounded by delightful architecture, some dating back to the 17th century. The Mercat Building looks old but is relatively new. It was built in 1928 based on the design of Graham Henderson. Surprisingly, its grand façade serves as the entrance to a furniture store called The Livingroom. In the left corner is the Mercat Cross, a 1930 replica of the one marking the center of trade erected in 1659.

22 Gallowgate, Glasgow, G1 5AG, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

24 Unicorn Mercat Cross in Glasgow, Scotland

This royal unicorn holding a heraldic shield on top of a pillar is called a mercat cross. A similar symbol was used across Scottish towns from the 12th century until 1707 to indicate where a high authority had approved for merchants to conduct trade. Public ceremonies and announcements also occurred at its base. This Mercat Cross is a reproduction of the original one from 1659. It was designed by Edith Burnet Hughes and erected at the corner of Glasgow Cross in 1930.

22 Gallowgate, Glasgow, G1 5AG, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

25 Tron Theatre Clock Tower in Glasgow, Scotland

Trongate is a major road passing through the center of historic Glasgow now called Merchant City. The street dates back to the mid-16th century. It was named after a tron, a type of scales used by merchants to weigh their commodities. This distinguished clock tower was added to St Mary’s Church in 1637. It survived a fire in 1793 and was incorporated into the new Tron Kirk a few years later. The church was purchase in 1980 and then extensively refurbished by the Glasgow Theatre Club. Now called the Tron Theatre, it produces plays by contemporary Scottish playwrights and artists.

63 Trongate, Glasgow G1 5HB, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

26 Former Glasgow Sherriff Court in Glasgow, Scotland

The first phase of the County Buildings and Courthouse opened in 1844 based on the design by the architect firm of Clarke & Bell. It was expanded several times during the 19th century until it dominated a block of Merchant City. This Greek Revival façade on Wilson Street is most impressive with its six fluted Ionic columns between friezes sculpted by Walter Buchan. After the Glasgow Sherriff Court moved out, this neoclassical building was extensively renovated in 2006. It is now home to the Scottish Youth Theatre, over 60 apartments plus the Citation Taverne and Restaurant.

105 Brunswick St, Glasgow G1 1TF, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

27 Outside Drinking at Merchant Square in Glasgow, Scotland

When this structure on Albion Street was rebuilt in 1886, it was the Old Fruitmarket. Today it contains a collection of bars, restaurants and clubs. When the sun comes out during the spring and summer months, so do the patrons who enjoy a beer or wine along the sidewalk seating or the inner courtyard.

71 Albion St, Glasgow G1 1NY, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

28 Ramshorn Kirk in Glasgow, Scotland

This magnificent, Gothic Revival structure by Thomas Rickman was St David’s Kirk when it was completed along Ingram Street in 1824. It is often referred to as Ramshorn Kirk. This property graced with a 120 foot bell tower has a cemetery with the remains of wealthy merchants and residents of Glasgow Cross from 1719 until 1915. The church was purchased by the University of Strathclyde. The school converted and operated it as the Ramshorn Theatre in 1990 but closed the drama venue in 2011.

90 Ingram St, Glasgow G1, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

29 Hutcheson’s Hall in Glasgow, Scotland

The Hutcheson’s Hospital for tradesmen was constructed in the mid-17th century on Trongate. The infirmary and orphanage was named after its benefactor, George Hutcheson. The original building was demolished after this replacement on Ingram Street was built in 1805 based on the design of David Hamilton. It was extensively remodeled in the late 19th century. Hutcheson’s Hall has served several purposes including the offices of The National Trust for Scotland. If you look closely, you can see statues of George Hutcheson and his brother Thomas in the niches. These were sculpted in 1655 by James Colquhoun.

158 Ingram St, Glasgow, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

30 Sir Walter Scott Monument in Glasgow, Scotland

Since 1781, George Square has been the epicenter of Glasgow. The plaza is filled with statues and monuments to many of Scotland’s preeminent heroes and residents. An example is the Scott Monument. This 80 foot tall tribute to Sir Walter Scott was erected in 1837, five years after the death of the famous playwright, poet and novelist.

George Square, Glasgow, G2 1AL, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

31 Glasgow City Chambers and Cenotaph in Glasgow, Scotland

The Glasgow City Chambers was inaugurated by Queen Victoria in 1888. Inside the pediment is a relief of the queen honoring her Golden Jubilee. Above it and beneath the flagpole are statues representing Honor and Riches with an image of Truth in the middle. James Alexander Ewing’s sculpture is often called Glasgow’s Statue of Liberty. This view of the Beaux Arts building by architect William Young is from George Square. The white monument with a golden cross in the foreground is a cenotaph designed by J. J. Burnet and erected in 1924. It honors the 18,000 Glasgow soldiers who fell during World War I.

55 George Square, Glasgow G2 2DU, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

32 Glasgow City Chambers Staircase in Glasgow, Scotland

Tours of the Glasgow City Chambers are available five days a week without a reservation. However, if you are pressed for time, you must at least walk inside and admire this grand staircase. The combination of arches, chandeliers, Carrara marble and alabaster walls are stunning. They rise three levels towards a gold-leaf ceiling and a stained-glass dome.

55 George Square, Glasgow G2 2DU, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

33 City Chambers Arched Entry in Glasgow, Scotland

These three arches bridge the 30 and 35 John Street buildings behind the Glasgow City Chambers. This view of four Ionic columns along Cochran Street shows the matching façade on George Street in the background. This was created as part of the City Chambers extension in 1923.

35 John St, Glasgow G1 1LY, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

34 Fellow Glasgow Residents Hiker Mural in Glasgow, Scotland

This mural of a hiker picking a mushroom from the woodlands looks like a scene from a fairytale. It is my favorite part of a huge street painting on Ingram Street called, “Fellow Glasgow Residents.” The rest of this art by Smug One features wild animals residing in and around the city. You can see this and other spectacular outdoor art on the Glasgow City Centre Mural Trail.

68 Ingram St, Glasgow G1 1DJ, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

35 Old Subway Entry on Buchanan Street in Glasgow, Scotland

Buchanan Street runs through the heart of Glasgow’s shopping district. At the north end on Sauchiehall Street is the Royal Concert Hall. At the other end on Argyle Street are St Enoch Square and this former subway entry and ticket booth built in 1896. Today it is Caffè Nero. In between are crowds bustling among upscale retailers. This famous street, now pedestrian only, was formed in 1777. Its namesake is Andrew Buchanan. He was Lord Provost of Glasgow in 1740 after becoming wealthy trading tobacco from the American colonies. These aristocrats were called tobacco lords or Virginia dons. They thrived until the end of the American Revolution.

55 St Enoch Square, Glasgow G2 8BX, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

36 Sculpted Allegories at St Enoch Square in Glasgow, Scotland

These sculptures by Phyllis Archibald grace the ground floor of a former bank. They are two of four allegories symbolizing prudence, commerce, adventure and security. In the center is a caduceus, the Hermes staff from Greek mythology, representing commerce and negotiation. They are located on St Enoch Square, named in honor of the mother of St Mungo, the patron saint of Glasgow. This plaza was formerly anchored by St Enoch Church, a subway and railway station and the St Enoch Hotel. When the later was built in 1876, it was the grandest in the city. Now all of these landmarks are gone except a few elegant touches like this one.

22 St Enoch Pl, Glasgow G1, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

37 Glasgow Royal Concert Hall in Glasgow, Scotland

The Glasgow Royal Concert Hall anchors the north end of Buchanan Street and is adjacent to the Buchanan Galleries shopping mall. The largest of its seven performance venues has a seating capacity for nearly 2,500 people. It is home for the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. On its sandstone façade is the City of Glasgow Coat of Arms. The crest displays two fish with rings in their mouths flanking the image of Saint Mungo. The scroll on the bottom reads, “Let Glasgow Flourish.”

2 Sauchiehall St, Glasgow G2 3NY, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

38 St George’s Tron Church in Glasgow, Scotland

This was the St George’s Parish Church when it opened in 1808 based on the design of William Stark. The kirk stands in the core of the city on Buchanan Street. In 2012, all of the members left to form an independent congregation on Bath Street in protest over the General Assembly’s pending decision to allow gay clergy. That court case over a homosexual minister in Aberdeen was ratified in 2013. Currently, the Church of Scotland is trying to attract a new congregation to St George’s Tron.

163 Buchanan St, Glasgow G1 2JX, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

39 Glasgow Cathedral in Glasgow, Scotland

When this cathedral was built in 1136, it served the Roman Catholic community. It was dedicated to Saint Mungo, Glasgow’s founder and patron saint. His tomb is inside. The saint is credited with building the first church on this site in 550 AD. After the Scottish Reformation in 1560, when Catholics lost their rights in Scotland, this medieval cathedral lay empty for about 20 years. The ornate, Scottish Gothic building is now part of the Church of Scotland.

Glasgow Cathedral, Castle Street, Glasgow, G4 0QZ
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

40 Entrance to Glasgow Necropolis in Glasgow, Scotland

Visiting a cemetery during your vacation may not sound like a top attraction. The Glasgow Necropolis is a glorious exception. These 37 acres, previously the Fir Park, now contains over 50,000 grave sites. This front entrance gate was originally designed to be the tunnel entry to the graveyard. Within the tympanum is an inscription from the Merchants’ House of Glasgow, the group of local merchants who established the Necropolis in 1832.

Castle St, Glasgow G4 0UZ, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

41 Bridge of Sighs at Glasgow Necropolis in Glasgow, Scotland

This stone-arched bridge was built to reach the Glasgow Necropolis. It is called the “Bridge of Sighs” because of the countless funeral processions who used it to cross the Molendinar Burn (river). The cemetery is filled with 3,500 elaborate monuments to some of Scotland’s wealthiest and famous people. An example is the statue atop the Doric column on the left. The 12 foot sculpture erected in 1825 represents John Knox. He was the major force behind Scotland’s Protestant Reformation during the 16th century.

Castle St, Glasgow G4 0UZ, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

42 Montealth Mausoleum at Glasgow Necropolis in Glasgow, Scotland

A spectacular mausoleum at the Glasgow Necropolis marks the gravesite of Major Archibald Douglas Montealth, an officer with the East India Company, and his brother James. They were interred in 1842 and 1850 respectively. This circular, neo-Norman design by architect David Cousin is apparently patterned after the Knights Templar Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Cambridge.

Castle St, Glasgow G4 0UZ, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

43 Cathedral House Hotel in Glasgow, Scotland

Duke Street Prison was built in 1798. Long before it closed in 1955 and was razed in 1958, the jail only incarcerated women inmates. Also called Bridewell, the institution had a terrible reputation. This red, sandstone, Scottish Baronial building was opened in 1877 as a halfway house after prisoners’ release. It is now the Cathedral House Hotel. Their selection of eight rooms is perfect for quests looking for boutique accommodations shared by rumored ghosts.

32 Cathedral Square, Glasgow G4 0XA, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

44 Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Glasgow, Scotland

The Glasgow Royal Infirmary was founded in 1794. The hospital continued to expand during the 19th century until it was replaced in 1924 based on the design of James Miller. An addition was opened in 1982. The 20 acre teaching facility is affiliated with the University of Glasgow and managed by NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde. This is the U.K’s largest health board. They annually provide healthcare to over 1.2 million people.

84 Castle St, Glasgow G4 0SF, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

45 Queen Victoria Statue at Glasgow Royal Infirmary in Glasgow, Scotland

This statue of Queen Victoria commemorates part of the rebuilding of the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. The bronze image of the longest reigning Queen of the United Kingdom (1837 – 1901) was sculpted by Albert Hodge. The crowned British monarch is holding a scepter in her right hand and an orb with cross in her left, both symbols of sovereignty.

84 Castle St, Glasgow G4 0SF, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

46 City of Glasgow College City Campus in Glasgow, Scotland

The City of Glasgow College was founded in 2010 after the merger of three schools: the College of Nautical Studies, Central College and Glasgow Metropolitan College. The community education facility teaches about 27,000 students on subjects such as business management, nautical studies, computing, engineering, hospitality and social sciences. Two new buildings have been recently built at a cost of over £220 million. The River Campus in 2015 and this one named City Campus on Cathedral Street in 2016.

90 Cathedral St, Glasgow G4 0RF, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

47 Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Glasgow, Scotland

The Glasgow Educational Association was founded in 1845. Over the years, its mission and names have changed several times. In 2011, it was rebranded as the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. Their focus is on teaching music, dance and drama at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The conservatoire is ranked among the top ten in the world.

100 Renfrew St, Glasgow G2 3DB, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

48 Theatre Royal Glasgow in Glasgow, Scotland

The Theatre Royal was founded in 1867 – Scotland’s oldest – and has been a cornerstone of Glasgow’s performing arts ever since. In 1975, it was purchased by the Scottish Opera. It is also the home of the Scottish Ballet. It is a popular venue for opera, ballet, concerts and plays. This foyer was added to the historic building in 2014. The theatre is located in Cowcaddens, the arts and entertainment district of Glasgow.

282 Hope St, Glasgow G2 3QA, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

49 The National Piping Center in Glasgow, Scotland

The distinctive sound of bagpipes is immediately associated with Scotland. Yet historians suggest the musical instrument dates back 2,000 years to Greece, the Middle East and the Roman Empire. They were probably first used by Scottish Highlanders on battlefields during the mid-16th century and grew in popularity during the two World Wars. The National Piping Center in Glasgow is a school and museum dedicated to this iconic symbol of Scotland. The institution is housed in the Old Cowcaddens Church built in 1872.

30 McPhater St, Glasgow G4 0HW, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions

50 James Sellars House Allegories in Glasgow, Scotland

This sandstone building was the New Club when it was built in 1879. In 1981, it was renamed the James Sellars House in honor of its architect. Sellars became a prolific architect in Glasgow after his career was launched for designing St Andrew’s Halls. In 1888, he died of blood poisoning at the age of 45 after stepping on a rusty nail during construction of the Glasgow International Exhibition. These allegories over the arched entrance were sculpted by William Mossman II. This is now an office building named after its address at 144 West George Street.

144 W George St, Glasgow, G2 2HG, UK
Enlarge/Slideshow See On Map Directions
TOP