The River Clyde is Scotland’s second longest at 109 miles. The river was responsible for establishing the location of Glasgow and helped it become a major seaport, shipbuilder and trade center. It has also been historically challenging to control. Since 1772, six weirs have been built to regulate flow and flooding. The current Pipe Bridge and Tidal Weir was constructed in 1949. The rushing water offers a peaceful backdrop for people enjoying Glasgow Green.