Trongate is a major road passing through the center of historic Glasgow now called Merchant City. The street dates back to the mid-16th century. It was named after a tron, a type of scales used by merchants to weigh their commodities. This distinguished clock tower was added to St Mary’s Church in 1637. It survived a fire in 1793 and was incorporated into the new Tron Kirk a few years later. The church was purchase in 1980 and then extensively refurbished by the Glasgow Theatre Club. Now called the Tron Theatre, it produces plays by contemporary Scottish playwrights and artists.