From its founding in the mid-15h century until about 1870, the University of Glasgow conducted classes in various locations around the city. A replacement campus was then designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the West End on Gilmorehill. Their Main Building along South Front is not only spectacular but also the second largest Gothic Revival building in the United Kingdom. The 279 foot bell tower was added in 1891 by Scott’s son. The university has more than 25,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students.