Buchanan Street runs through the heart of Glasgow’s shopping district. At the north end on Sauchiehall Street is the Royal Concert Hall. At the other end on Argyle Street are St Enoch Square and this former subway entry and ticket booth built in 1896. Today it is Caffè Nero. In between are crowds bustling among upscale retailers. This famous street, now pedestrian only, was formed in 1777. Its namesake is Andrew Buchanan. He was Lord Provost of Glasgow in 1740 after becoming wealthy trading tobacco from the American colonies. These aristocrats were called tobacco lords or Virginia dons. They thrived until the end of the American Revolution.