This was the St George’s Parish Church when it opened in 1808 based on the design of William Stark. The kirk stands in the core of the city on Buchanan Street. In 2012, all of the members left to form an independent congregation on Bath Street in protest over the General Assembly’s pending decision to allow gay clergy. That court case over a homosexual minister in Aberdeen was ratified in 2013. Currently, the Church of Scotland is trying to attract a new congregation to St George’s Tron.