The Glasgow Cross area, now called Merchant City, is surrounded by delightful architecture, some dating back to the 17th century. The Mercat Building looks old but is relatively new. It was built in 1928 based on the design of Graham Henderson. Surprisingly, its grand façade serves as the entrance to a furniture store called The Livingroom. In the left corner is the Mercat Cross, a 1930 replica of the one marking the center of trade erected in 1659.