The Glasgow Royal Infirmary was founded in 1794. The hospital continued to expand during the 19th century until it was replaced in 1924 based on the design of James Miller. An addition was opened in 1982. The 20 acre teaching facility is affiliated with the University of Glasgow and managed by NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde. This is the U.K’s largest health board. They annually provide healthcare to over 1.2 million people.