The University of Glasgow was founded in 1451 at the suggestion of King James II and authorized in a Latin document called a Papal Bull from Pope Nicholas V. This makes the university the fourth oldest in the English-speaking world. That was over 475 years before the Memorial Chapel seen on the right was built. The Scots Gothic design was the work of architect Sir John Burnet. The interfaith chapel’s name is a tribute to the students who died while serving in the World Wars. On the left are a Hospitality Services, a café called The Square and part of the Adams Smith Business School. All are part of the West Quadrangle.