Blaxland is a small town of 7,500 people. Originally called Wascoe, it was renamed in 1914 as a tribute to Gregory Blaxland. Born in Kent, England in 1778, Blaxland immigrated to Sydney in 1806 on the promise he would be granted land and convicts for slave labor. Like many Sydney famers in the early 19th century, he wanted more agriculture property to add to his existing 4,700 acres. However, the Blue Mountains were a confining barrier. With the permission of Governor Lachlan Macquarie, he plus William Larson and William Wentworth tried crossing the Great Dividing Range. On the third attempt in 1813, he was successful. His reward was 1,000 acres on the other side of the Blue Mountains. This bust by Terrance Plowright was erected in 1913 to mark the accomplishment’s centennial.