In 1868, two adjoining buildings on Cumberland Street were constructed for a warehouse and a grain exchange. In 1902, architect J.P. Briggs was tasked with converting them into a venue for the performing arts. The theatre has hosted ballets, concerts, plays and of course operas. It also screened films until 1916. From 1903 until 1989, it was called variations of the moniker Empire. After a restoration in 1993, it reopened as the Grand Opera House.