During the early 19th century, Colonel David Collins had the distinction of being the first lieutenant governor of three British colonies. They later became Australian states: New South Wales in 1788, Victoria in 1803 and Van Diemens Land (now Tasmania) in 1804. His official living quarters in Hobart was a shack. The second government house – previously located near today’s Franklin Square – was torn down in 1858 after the current governor’s residence in Queen’s Domain was finished. This Gothic Revival design by architect William Pordon Kay resembles a castle. Government House is perched on a hill overlooking the Royal Botanic Gardens. The 37 acres of the Tasmania governor’s estate includes a manicured English garden.