After the first church was built in 1703 in the hamlet of Búðir, it served a handful of locals until being abandoned in 1816. Then Steinunn Sveinsdóttir was determined to reestablish the parish. After repeated rejections by the Church of Iceland, she took her appeal to Frederick VII, the King of Denmark, who granted her permission. Construction of Búðakirkja – a historical reproduction of the original – was finished in 1848. Next to this black wooden church and cemetery is Hotel Búðir, a lovely place for a gourmet meal and overnight stay.