THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS LLC, A MINNESOTA LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY (LICENSOR HEREAFTER KNOWN AS ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS) AND THE LICENSEE (AS DEFINED BELOW). THIS AGREEMENT APPLIES TO CERTAIN LICENSES ISSUED VIA THE PHOTOSHELTER.COM WEBSITE (THE “SITE”), AND IS APPLICABLE TO ONLINE, DIGITAL AND ANALOGUE (PHYSICAL) DELIVERY OF LICENSED MATERIAL (THE “AGREEMENT”). ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS AND LICENSEE HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT NEITHER THE SITE NOR ITS OWNER, BITSHELTER, LLC (COLLECTIVELY, “PHOTOSHELTER”), IS A PARTY TO THIS AGREEMENT AND NO CLAIM SHALL BE MADE BY ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS, THE LICENSEE OR ANY OF THEIR AFFILIATES AGAINST PHOTOSHELTER OR ITS AFFILIATES FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE OR ANY DISPUTE RELATING TO THE LICENSED MATERIAL (AS DEFINED BELOW) AND ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS AND THE LICENSEE WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS AND CAUSES OF ACTIONS AGAINST PHOTOSHELTER TO THE FULLY EXTENT PERMITTED UNDER LAW. ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS AND LICENSEE HEREBY AGREE TO JOINTLY AND SEVERALLY INDEMNIFY PHOTOSHELTER AND ITS AFFILIATES AGAINST ANY CLAIM, DAMAGE, EXPENSE OR OTHER LOSS INCURRED BY PHOTOSHELTER AS A RESULT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS AGREEMENT AND THE MATTERS REFERENCED HEREIN.
1. Definitions. In this Agreement the following definitions apply:
1.1 “Invoice” means the computer-generated or pre-printed invoice provided by or through the Site that may include, without limitation, names of Encircle World Photos and Licensee, the permitted scope of use of the Licensed Material selected and the corresponding price for the license of such Licensed Material.
1.2 “Licensed Material” means any still image, film or video footage, audio product, visual
representation generated optically, electronically, digitally or by any other means, including any
negatives, transparencies, film imprints, prints, original digital files or any Reproductions thereof, or any other product protected by copyright, trademark, patent or other intellectual property right including any captions and/or written descriptions associated with an image, which is licensed to Licensee by Encircle World Photos under the terms of this Agreement. Any reference in this Agreement to the Licensed Material shall be to each individual item within the Licensed Material and also to the Licensed Material taken as a whole.
1.3 “Licensee” means the person or entity set forth in the applicable Invoice as the “licensee” and
receiving the rights to the Licensed Materials as specified hereunder.
1.4 “Licensor” means Encircle World Photos LLC, a Minnesota limited liability company, as set forth on the Invoice as the “licensor” and granting the rights to the Licensed Materials as specified hereunder. Encircle World Photos LLC has an exclusive, worldwide license and agreement to manage, display, market, print, download and grant rights-managed licenses for the photographs, images, and written descriptions contained on the encirclephotos.com and related sites. Under this exclusive license agreement with Encircle World Photos, LLC, Richard F. Ebert, the photographer and copywriter, has maintained all copyrights. Each image and written description will include the statutory notice “Copyright ©Richard F. Ebert YEAR All Rights Reserved” and the metadata in each image also includes “Under License to Encircle World Photos LLC.” Furthermore, the images on this site have been registered with the United States Copyright Office. For the avoidance of doubt, in no event shall PhotoShelter be deemed for any purposes hereunder as the Licensor.
1.5 “Reproduction” and “Reproduce” mean any form of duplication, copying or publication of any or all of the Licensed Material, via any medium and by whatever means, and/or the distortion or manipulation of the whole or any part of the Licensed Material and the creation of any derivative work from the Licensed Material.
2. Grant of Rights & Restrictions.
2.1 Subject to the terms and conditions contained herein, Encircle World Photos grants to Licensee a non-exclusive, non-assignable and non-sub licensable right to Reproduce the Licensed Material identified in the Invoice, solely to the extent explicitly stated in this Agreement. This right may be exercised by subcontractors of Licensee, provided that such subcontractors agree to abide by the terms of this Agreement.
2.2 Use of the Licensed Material is strictly limited to the use, medium, period of time, print run,
placement, size of image, territory and any other restrictions specified in the Invoice. Licensee may utilize the Licensed Material in any production process that may be necessary for the intended use specified in the Invoice.
2.3 If any Licensed Material featuring a model is used in (i) a manner that would lead a reasonable person to believe that the model personally uses or endorses a product or service; or (ii) in connection with a subject that would be unflattering or controversial to a reasonable person, Licensee must accompany each such use with a statement that indicates that the person so pictured is a model and is used for illustrative purposes only.
2.4 Pornographic, defamatory or otherwise unlawful use of Licensed Material is strictly prohibited.
2.6 Licensed Material shall not be incorporated into a logo, trademark or service mark.
2.7 Licensed Material shall not be used contrary to any restriction on use that is notified to Licensee prior to or at the time the Licensed Material is delivered to Licensee. Such restrictions may be included in the information provided with the Licensed Material on the Site, in the Invoice, or in any other communication by Encircle World Photos. Any such restriction provided to the Licensee shall be incorporated in this Agreement by reference.
2.8 Upon reasonable notice, Encircle World Photos may inspect any records, accounts and books
relating to the Reproduction of any of the Licensed Material to ensure that the Licensed Material is being used in accordance with this Agreement.
3. Copyright. No ownership or copyright in any Licensed Material shall pass to Licensee by the
issuance of the license contained in this Agreement. Except as expressly stated in this Agreement, Encircle World Photos grants Licensee no right or license, express or implied, to the Licensed Material.
4. Releases. Encircle World Photos will notify Licensee if it has obtained a model release and/or a property release for Licensed Material, either in the release status information accompanying the Licensed Material on the Site, in the Invoice or by other means. If no such notification is given, then no such model or property release has been obtained. Except where Licensee is specifically notified, Encircle World Photos grants no rights and makes no warranties with regard to the use of names, people, trademarks, trade dress, registered, unregistered or copyrighted designs or works of art or architecture depicted in any Licensed Material. Both parties further agree and acknowledge that PhotoShelter makes no warranties with regard to the use of names, people, trademarks, trade dress, registered, unregistered or copyrighted designs or works of art or architecture depicted in any Licensed Material. Where Licensed Material is unreleased, Licensee shall be solely responsible for determining whether a release is required in connection with any proposed use of such Licensed Material. Licensee acknowledges that some jurisdictions provide legal protection against a person’s image, likeness or property being used for commercial purposes without their consent. Encircle World Photos makes no representations or warranties as to whether or not any additional fees or payments may be due to any model depicted in Licensed Material pursuant to the requirements of any applicable trade union and Licensee shall be solely responsible for any such additional fees or payments to such trade union. Both parties further agree and acknowledge that PhotoShelter has made no representation or warranty whatsoever regarding the Licensed Material.
5. Warranty and Limitation of Liability.
5.1 Encircle World Photos warrants that: (i) it has all necessary rights and authority to enter into and perform this Agreement; (ii) the Licensed Material will be free from defects in material and
workmanship for 30 days from delivery (Licensee’s sole and exclusive remedy for a breach of this warranty being the replacement of the Licensed Material); and (iii) subject to Section 4 above (Releases), Licensee’s use of the Licensed Material in its original form, and when used in
accordance with this Agreement and the Invoice, will not infringe on any copyright, moral right,
trademark or other intellectual property right and will not violate any right of privacy or right of
5.2 ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS MAKES NO OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, REGARDING THE LICENSED MATERIAL, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO LICENSEE OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY FOR ANY GENERAL, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, OR LOST PROFITS OR ANY OTHER DAMAGES, COSTS OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF LICENSEE’S USE OF THE LICENSED MATERIAL OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF
ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, COSTS OR LOSSES. ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS’ MAXIMUM LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH LICENSEE’S USE OF OR INABILITY TO USE THE LICENSED MATERIAL (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE) SHALL, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, BE LIMITED TO THE VALUE OF FIVE (5)TIMES THE VALUE PAID BY THE LICENSEE FOR THE LICENSED MATERIAL.
5.3 THE REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES MADE BY LICENSOR IN THIS AGREEMENT APPLY ONLY TO THE LICENSED MATERIAL AS DELIVERED BY ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS AND WILL BE INVALID IF THE LICENSED MATERIAL IS USED BY LICENSEE IN ANY MANNER NOT SPECIFICALLY AUTHORIZED IN THIS AGREEMENT OR IF LICENSEE IS OTHERWISE IN BREACH OF THIS AGREEMENT.
6.1 Provided Licensed Material is only used in accordance with this Agreement and Licensee is not otherwise in breach of this Agreement, Encircle World Photos shall defend, indemnify and hold Licensee harmless from all damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and permitted and authorized costs), arising out of or connected with any actual or threatened lawsuit, claim or legal proceeding alleging that Licensor is in breach of its warranties given in section 5 above.
THE FOREGOING STATES ENCIRCLE WORLD PHOTOS’ ENTIRE INDEMNIFICATION
OBLIGATION TO LICENSEE UNDER THIS AGREEMENT AND LICENSEE’S SOLE AND
EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY ALLEGED OR ACTUAL BREACH OF THE REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES SET FORTH IN SECTION 5 ABOVE.
6.2 Where model or property releases for Licensed Material have not been obtained by Encircle
World Photos, or if Licensee’s use of the Licensed Material is not authorized by this Agreement,
Licensee shall defend, indemnify and hold Encircle World Photos and its parent, subsidiaries and
commonly owned or controlled affiliates and their respective officers, directors and employees
harmless from all damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs), arising out of or connected with any actual or threatened lawsuit, claim or legal proceeding relating to the use of such Licensed Material by Licensee, to the extent that such claim relates to the absence of a release or the Licensee’s unauthorized use of the Licensed Material.
7. Notice of Defense. The party seeking indemnification pursuant to section 6 shall promptly notify the other party of such claim. At indemnifying party’s option, indemnifying party may assume the handling, settlement or defense of any claim or litigation, in which event indemnified party shall cooperate in the defense thereof. Indemnified party shall have the right to participate in such litigation, at its expense, through counsel selected by indemnified party. The indemnifying party will not be liable for legal fees and other costs incurred prior to the other party giving notice of the claim for which indemnity is sought.
8. Parties’ Obligation. Upon notice from Encircle World Photos, or upon Licensee’s knowledge that any Licensed Material is subject to a threatened or actual claim of infringement, violation of another right, or any other claim for which Licensor may be liable herein, or if Encircle World Photos withdraws any Licensed Material for any good reason, Licensee will physically remove the Licensed Material from its premises, computer systems and storage (electronic or physical) and, if possible, cease any future use at its own expense. Encircle World Photos shall provide Licensee with comparable Licensed Material (which comparability will be determined by Encircle World Photos in its reasonable commercial judgment) free of charge, but subject to the other terms and conditions of this Agreement.
9. Electronic Storage. For all Licensed Material that Licensee takes delivery of in electronic form, Licensee must retain the copyright symbol “Copyright ©Richard F. Ebert YEAR All Rights Reserved,” the name of Encircle World Photos LLC as the Licensor, the image number or name, and other identification and written descriptions associated with the Licensed Material as may be included as part of the electronic file, the IPTC metadata and on the website. Licensee may not make additional high-resolution copies of the Licensed Material and Licensee will maintain a robust firewall to safeguard against unauthorized third-party access to the Licensed Material. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Licensee may make one (1) high-resolution backup copy of the Licensed Material for security reasons only. Upon the expiration or earlier termination of this Agreement, Licensee shall promptly delete the Licensed Material from its computer or other electronic storage systems and shall ensure that its sub-contractors do likewise.
10. Interest. If Licensee fails to pay Encircle World Photos invoice in full within the time specified in the invoice, Encircle World Photos may add a service charge of one percent (1%) per month, or such lesser amount as is allowed by law, on any unpaid balance until payment is received. Encircle World Photos also reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to revoke the license if payment is not made in full on time. Encircle World Photos may also access the Licensee, and the Licensee will be liable for and agrees to reimburse Encircle World Photos, for any chargeback and related fees from a bank, financial institution, credit card company and/or payment service vendor for a failed financial transaction arising while Licensee makes payments towards an invoice(s).
12. Condition of Licensed Material. Licensee should examine all Licensed Material for possible
defects (whether digital or otherwise) before sending any Licensed Material for Reproduction.
Without prejudice to section 5.1.(ii) above, Encircle World Photos shall not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by Licensee or any third party, whether directly or indirectly, arising from any alleged or actual defect in any Licensed Material, which includes any image caption (s) and
description (s), or in any way from its Reproduction.
13. Credit Lines for Editorial Use. If any Licensed Material is Reproduced in an editorial manner, Richard F. Ebert should be credited as the image photographer and description author, it should include the “Copyright ©Richard F. Ebert YEAR All Rights Reserved, and the Encircle World Photos name as credit information, if any, set forth on such Invoice, must appear adjacent to the Licensed Material in the credit line accompanying the Licensed Material.
15. Miscellaneous Terms.
15.1 Unauthorized Use. Any use of Licensed Material in a manner not expressly authorized by this Agreement or in breach of a term of this Agreement constitutes copyright infringement, entitling Encircle World Photos to exercise all rights and remedies available to it under copyright laws around the world. Licensee shall be responsible for any damages resulting from any such copyright infringement, including any claims by a third party.
15.2 Governing Law. This Agreement will be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of
Minnesota, without reference to its laws relating to conflicts of law. Any disputes arising from this Agreement or its enforceability shall be settled by binding arbitration to be held in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods does not govern this Agreement.
15.3 Severability. If one or more of the provisions contained in the Agreement is found to be invalid, illegal or unenforceable in any respect, the validity, legality and enforceability of the remaining provisions shall not be affected. Such provisions shall be revised only to the extent necessary to make them enforceable.
15.4 Waiver. No action of Encircle World Photos, other than express written waiver, may be
construed as a waiver of any provision of this Agreement. A delay on the part of Encircle World
Photos in the exercise of its rights or remedies will not operate as a waiver of such rights or
remedies, and a single or partial exercise by Encircle World Photos of any such rights or remedies will not preclude other or further exercise of that right or remedy. A waiver of a right or remedy on any one occasion will not be construed as a bar to or waiver of those rights or remedies on any other occasion.
15.5 Entire Agreement. This Agreement, including the Invoice, contains all the terms of the license agreement and no terms or conditions may be added or deleted unless made in writing and signed by an authorized representative of both parties. In the event of any inconsistency between the terms contained herein and the terms contained on the Invoice, any purchase order or other communication sent by Licensee, the terms of this Agreement shall govern.
Print License: By purchasing the selected photographs (the “Prints”) you hereby agree and acknowledge that you are not acquiring any right, title or interest in or to the Print(s) or written description(s) of the image(s), or any associated copyrights, other than the right to possess, hold and use the Print(s) for non-commercial purposes. Furthermore, you agree that you will: (i) not scan, copy, duplicate or otherwise reproduce the Print(s) or written image description(s), (ii) not use the Print or written image description for any commercial purpose, without the express written consent of Encircle World Photos and (iii) indemnify PhotoShelter and its affiliates, officers, members, managers, employees and agents against any claims, losses or damages incurred as a result of or in connection with your breach of the foregoing restrictions. You also hereby acknowledge that the Prints are being produced and manufactured by a third party chosen by Encircle World Photos, and that PhotoShelter is not involved nor otherwise responsible or liable for the production, manufacture, or delivery of such Prints.
Personal Use Electronic Download: By purchasing the selected photographs (the “Images”) you hereby agree and acknowledge that you are not acquiring any right, title or interest in or to the Images(s) or written description(s) of the image(s), or any associated copyrights, other than the right to possess, hold and use the Images(s) for personal, non-commercial purposes. Furthermore, you agree that you will: (i) not scan, copy, duplicate, distribute or otherwise reproduce the Images(s) or written image description(s), (ii) not use the Images or written image description(s) for any commercial purpose, without the express written consent of Encircle World Photos, and (iii) you indemnify PhotoShelter and its affiliates, officers, members, managers, employees and agents against any claims, losses or damages incurred as a result of or in connection with your breach of the foregoing restrictions.