Daniel Joseph Jaffe arrived in Belfast in 1852 and established a linen business. After his death, his sons grew The Jaffe Brothers into Ireland’s largest linen exporter. To honor his father, Otto, who was twice elected as Belfast’s Lord Mayor, commissioned the Jaffe Fountain. It was moved to the Botanic Gardens in 1933 were it was left to languish. This tribute with its bright yellow canopy was restored in 2007 and returned to its original position, now at the main entrance of the Victoria Square shopping mall.