During the Edo period (1603 – 1868), this was Marishitensha. The shrine was erected for the Buddhist goddess of Marishiten. Although this kami protects people and wealth, her primary role is guardian of warriors. Tokugawa Ieyasu, the founder of the Tokugawa shogunate, prayed to her before the 90 battles he fought during his military career. In the 19th century, the shrine was renamed Yachihoko Jinja and rededicated to Ōkuninushi, the Great Land Master and god of nation building. The architecture of Yachihoko Jinja stands out at Shizuoka Sengen Jinja because of its black lacquer and intricate carvings beneath its irimoya-zukuri roof.