The Wyoming State Capitol was designed in a Renaissance Revival style and built with sandstone in 1890. The House and Senate were added in 1917. Its copper dome is gilded with 24-carat gold. Two statues greet visitors. On the left is Chief Washakie. He was the head of the Eastern Shoshone Indians. On the right is Esther Hobart Morris. She helped Wyoming become the first state to allow women to vote in 1869. Wyoming became the 44th state on July 10, 1890.