The Winter Palace was the heartbeat of the Russian Empire from 1732 until it fell under Bolshevik control on October 26, 1917. This was the official residence for Russian emperors and empresses from Anna Ioannovna to Nicholas II, although many of them favored other palaces around Saint Petersburg. The original architect of this Elizabethan Baroque complex was Bartolomeo Rastrelli. The green and white façade facing Palace Square measures 750 feet. The palace contains about 1,500 rooms. Many of them are now part of the State Hermitage Museum.