Another engaging landmark above Chora are three masonry windmills. Two of them were built in 1588. The third was added in 1863. They harnessed the wind blowing across the ridgeline to power large stones for grinding wheat into flour. This was sophisticated technology in the early Renaissance. They were eventually replaced first by steam and then electricity-driven processes. The windmills ceased operations in the 1950s.