The traditional Irish name for this coastal village is An Coireán meaning cooking pot. Waterville is on a sliver of land bordered between Lough Currane and this beach on Ballinskelligs Bay. There is not much to see in this town of less than 500 people. But nearby are historic sites such as the Waterville House (18th century Gregorian mansion), the Hog’s Head Signal Station (built in 1806) plus the ruins of Ballinskelligs Abbey (circa 1210) and the MacCarthy Mór Castle (16th century). Nature lovers enjoy the abundance of marine life (animals, crustaceans and fish), over twenty bird species and an abundance of flora.