The Warnemünde Lighthouse was built in 1898. The light from its beacon can be seen in the Baltic Sea from 20 nautical miles away. There are two platforms that can be reached by a spiral staircase. Most tourists prefer the observation deck that is close to its 121 foot summit. During the early 1900s, when the light was powered by petroleum, the keeper had to wind huge weights every two hours. It was automated in 1927.