Charles III, while the King of Spain from 1759 until 1788, ordered the construction of a wall encircling Cartagena. The defense was designed by Mateo Vodopich. When Muralla de Carlos III was finished, the rampart measured over three miles in length. The best preserved section is Muralla del Mar meaning the Sea Wall. Most of the other curtain walls were removed along with the three original gates into the city.