Vigie Lighthouse was established in 1883. The current white, cylindrical tower with a red lantern was rebuilt in 1915. Although only 36 feet tall, its 320 foot elevation atop Vigie Peninsula makes the flashing lights easy to spot at sea. This lighthouse still serves a critical role in managing Castries Harbor. The keeper coordinates the arrival and departure of major ships and dispatches the assistance of tug boats.