Split was under the rule of the Republic of Venice from 1420 until 1797. In 1435, the Venetians built a castle near the shoreline outside of the southwestern wall of Diocletian’s Palace. This octagonal tower is all that remains. It is a formidable reminder of the strength of the Venetians from over 200 years ago. Mletačka Kula is located in Braće Radić Square, also called Fruit Square.