This structure was intended to provide sewage treatment when it was built in 1910 by the English company Manáos Improviments. After several frustrating years, the facility closed without ever becoming operational. In 2002, it became the Usina Chaminé Cultural Center. The name means chimney plant in English, a reference to its 79 foot tall brick smokestack. Usina Chaminé has temporary exhibitions of visual, cinematic, musical and scientific arts for adults plus a section designed for children.