The 275 undergraduate students who live in St Salvator’s Hall affectionately call it “Sallies.” The English Gothic building housed only men when it opened in 1933. This is where Prince William and Catherine Middleton lived when they met in 2001. The namesake for this prestigious residence is St Salvator’s College, the original name of the school founded in the 15th century. In 1747, after it merged with St Leonard’s College, it became United College. The third institution comprising the University of St Andrews today is St Mary’s College, established in 1538. The collective schools are ranked as the United Kingdom’s third best university.