University’s St Salvator’s Chapel in St Andrews, Scotland - Encircle Photos

18 University’s St Salvator’s Chapel in St Andrews, Scotland

St Salvator’s Chapel was founded by Bishop James Kennedy in 1450 to serve the College of the Holy Saviour, now part of the University of St Andrews. The Scottish Gothic architecture suffered significantly during the Protestant Reformation in the mid-16th century. After that, it was refurbished four times during the next four hundred years. At the foot of the chapel’s entrance on North Street are the initials P.H. This marks the spot where Patrick Hamilton became the first martyr in St Andrews for his Protestant beliefs. While a member of the university’s faculty, he was tried for heresy for teaching Lutheran doctrines, found guilty of thirteen charges and immediately burned at the stake in 1528.

VIEW MAP

75 North St, St Andrews KY16 9AL, UK

Directions

Share this Photo