An architectural reflection of the former importance of Portland’s seaport is the United States Custom House. The façade is clad in grey granite and features an elegant Second Empire design by architect Alfred B. Mullett. This served as the custom offices from 1872 until 2012. Unfortunately, tours are rarely available to admire the two-story central hall. The space is decorated with marble flooring and counters, walnut woodwork, ornate railings and a coffered ceiling.