Rue du Cul-de-Sac is colloquially called Umbrella Alley. One look at the colorful umbrellas suspended over the opening makes the name clear. Beginning in the 17th century, this was Cul-de-Sac Harbor, the heart of the New France port. The short, crescent-shaped street ends at Rue Notre-Dame. This leads to Place-Royal. On the right is the former home and warehouse of sea merchant Jean-Baptiste Chevalier. Maison Chevalier was built in 1752. Today, it is part of Musée de la civilization.