Anchoring the western side of Plaza de la Dársena is the U.S. Customs House. The two-level, pink and white concrete structure would be unremarkable if not for the plateresque ornamentation in the center. Imbedded among the terracotta are grotesques and lions, an eagle, coat of arms, clam shell designs above the windows and entrance plus green decorative motifs. Aduana de San Juan was created by architect Albert B. Nichols and built in 1924. It is listed with the National Register of Historic Places.