There have been three churches on this site going back 1,400 years. Saint Finbarr built the first early in the 7th century. It is assumed he is buried nearby. A medieval cathedral was demolished in 1785 yet the west tower remains. It was followed by another cathedral that was poorly regarded and torn down in the early 1860s. The current cathedral was started in 1865. By the time it was finished in 1879, it exceeded the budget by almost seven times. These impressive tympanums feature the following scenes (left to right): Expulsion from Paradise, The Last Judgement and Abraham Sacrificing Isaac.