The Presbyterian community was small in Akaroa during the latter half of the 19th century so their places of worship were humble. The first services in 1857 were conducted in Mrs. Brown’s kitchen and sitting room. Three years later, the parishioners built the Bon Accord church at this corner of Rue Lavaud. However, they were without a minister until 1874. In 1886, the current Trinity Church was constructed. During summer weekends and when a cruise ship is in port, the property hosts a small craft and farmers market.