Loyalists founded the Anglican Parish of Saint John in 1783 soon after taking refuge in the city following the American Revolution. Their first Trinity Church was built eight years later and then destroyed during the fire of 1877. The existing stone edifice has a handsome Victorian Gothic design by Montreal architect W.T. Thomas. Trinity Anglican Church opened in 1880. The octagonal spire soars 210 feet capped by a weather vane and a fish symbolizing Christianity. This is Trinity Church’s Germain Street entrance.