The location of Odense Town Hall has a very long history. The earliest settlement was formed here prior to 988 AD. Circa 1200, the current square became known as Flakhaven. In 1480, this became the site of the first town hall. It was replaced in 1885 by this red brick, Italian Gothic structure. The design was inspired by a town hall in Siena, Italy. The Rådhus still houses many of the city’s municipal offices.