Gammel Strand used to be a quay along a harbor where Copenhagen was founded. Now a row of colorful houses from the 18th and 19th century line the northern bank of the Slotsholmens Canal. In the background is the copper tower of the former Sankt Nikolaj Kirke located at Nikolaj Plads. It was originally built around 1200. After St. Nicholas Church was destroyed by fire in 1795, it was reconstructed with funds from Carl Jacobsen of Carlsberg Brewery. Today, Gammel Strand is home to Nikolaj, the Copenhagen Contemporary Art Center.