As the island of Tenedos was being seized by the Ottoman Turks, some Venetian clergy escaped with a precious icon of the Virgin Mary. When they arrive in Corfu at the end of the 15th century they built a church and monastery. It was called the Roman Catholic Church of the Blessed Virgin of Carmel Tenedos. This church at the top of Solomou street near the New Fortress was renovated in 1798 but it needs it again. However, its dome and bell tower speak to its former beauty.