During medieval times, each burgh in Scotland had a tolbooth. This building typically housed a courthouse, prison and city council. They also collected customs, taxes and tolls. This 130 foot, Georgian-style steeple was built as part of the Inverness tolbooth in 1791. The landmark was rebuilt in 1816 and extensively refurbished in 2013. The Steeple’s three bells chime every quarter hour from 8 a.m. through 8:00 p.m.