When this Tolbooth Steeple was built in 1626, the 126 foot tower was part of the Glasgow Council Chamber. During the next three centuries, this city’s core called Glasgow Cross became the main district for merchant warehouses and residences. They thrived while trading commodities including tea, sugar, tobacco and later produce. After this neighborhood fell into decline, the city purchased many of the buildings to make way for a major roadway that never happened. So, during the 1980s, they began a redevelopment effort including a new moniker of Merchant City. Now, this wonderful old clock tower at the intersection of five streets is surrounded by restaurants, entertainment and retailers.