Theaterplatz is a large plaza technically on the outer edge of Old Town. It is encircled by several landmarks. They are all worth visiting. Dresden Cathedral and the Royal Palace define the southeast border of Theatre Square. The Zwinger museum and garden creates the western edge. The palatial property was built for Augustus II the Strong in 1728. In the northwest is Semperoper Dresden. The gorgeous opera house has staged world premiers by master composers such as Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss. The venue now hosts opera, orchestra and ballet performances. This is Italian Village, located between Theaterplatz and the Elbe River. The name honors the Italian workers and artisans who lived on this spot while constructing Dresden Cathedral in the mid-18th century. Today, the 1913 building by architect Hans Erlwein is a restaurant.