A block east of the Red Light District is Nieuwmarkt. Dominating the square is the former Sint Antoniespoort. Saint Anthony’s Gate was part of the city walls built in the 15th century. Early in the 17th century, the defenses were torn down. In 1617-1618, New Market was created and the gate was transformed into a weigh house. The Waag served this function until 1819. For nearly two hundred years, Amsterdam’s oldest non-religious building had many unremarkable roles. After an extensive renovation in the 1990s, the lower level became a restaurant.