The Simpson Building was named after its architect, Archibald Simpson. It was funded by Elizabeth Brodie, the Duchess of Gordon, and constructed in 1839 to honor her husband, George Gordon, the 5th and last Duke of Gordon. This is the grand entrance to The Gordon Schools, a six-year secondary school founded by the duchess in the same year. Beneath the clock tower is the Clan Gordon crest featuring a stag’s head. On the other side of this arch is a tree-lined avenue leading to the Huntly Castle ruins. This pathway provides a peaceful and lovely stroll.