The city’s oldest public structure opened in 1816 as the Sydney Hospital’s south wing and The Dispensary. In 1855, after the British Colonial Secretary allowed Sydney to produce its own coins, the facility became the Royal Mint. Coin manufacturing continued until 1926. After a series of government offices and courthouses occupied the structure for a half century, the former Sydney Mint became a museum in 1979. Today, it is the headquarters of Sydney Living Museums. Their mission is to preserve the city’s historic places. The building also houses a restaurant and café.