This is all that remains of the third hospital built at Port Arthur in 1842. The two-tier, sandstone structure featured an arcade, open balcony and busts of Hippocrates and Saint Luke atop the corner gables. It could accommodate about 70 patients for inflictions ranging from scurvy to on-the-job injuries. Separate wards were maintained for prisoners versus soldiers. One wing was reserved for Catholics and the other for Protestants. After The Hospital was abandoned in 1877, the Catholic church converted it into a juvenile home. When it was ravished by a fire in 1895 and again two years later, it was left in ruins.