Most cities in the United Kingdom once had guildhalls where tradesmen conducted their meetings. Bath had two successive ones on this site near the river dating back to the Renaissance Era. This third version opened in 1778 using the design of architect Thomas Attwood. Notice the frieze among the Ionic columns. The figures are allegories for various trades. In the center is Lady Justice, the Roman goddess representing law. This Georgian building currently houses Bath’s archives and Register Office. It is also available to rent for special events.