In 1871, the Daily Telegraph was founded by London-born Richard Halkett Lord and published its first edition in Napier. Their first building was destroyed by fire in 1886 and the second collapsed in the 1931 earthquake. Architect Ernest Arthur Williams created this Art Deco design in 1932 and the presses started rolling inside the following year. The building’s two-story foyer was considered exceptionally grand for a country in the throes of the Depression. Despite several mergers, the newspaper kept printing from this site until 1999 when it was absorbed by the Hawke’s Bay Herald-Tribune.