The idiom “Stand the test of time” aptly describes Napier’s only Victorian-Edwardian structure. Form 1909 until 1987, this cornerstone of Browning Street served as the offices for Hawke’s Bay County Council. Its reinforced concrete construction helped it survive the 1931 earthquake virtually unscathed. Richard and Andrea Lysnar converted the property into The County Hotel. The boutique accommodations only has 18 rooms. Yet the hotel consistently earns five stars, awards plus recommendations from reviewers and guests.