The most beautiful architectural surprise in Nassau is The Cloisters. This was part of a 12th century monastery for Augustinian monks from Montréjeau, a small village in southwestern France near Spain’s border. In the 1920’s, this lovely colonnade was purchased by newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst. In the early 1960’s, Huntington Hartford acquired it as part of his development of Paradise Island. The reassembly across from Versailles Gardens was a two year project skillfully performed by J. J. Castremanne and finished in 1968. In the center is a white statue named Silence.