The oldest pub in the Bankside district located along the River Thames is The Anchor. The first tavern opened in 1615 when this area of Southwark was the theater district. The Anchor Bankside was rebuilt after its predecessor was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666. It also underwent a major refurbishment during the 19th century and again in 2008. The buildings behind the pub are where the Anchor Brewery was established in 1616. During the first half of the 19th century, it was London’s top brewery and one of the world’s largest.