Temple Annex serves as a transitional space from the outside world before entering the Salt Lake Temple. Patrons prepare mentally and spiritually while changing from street attire into white clothes. The first annex was finished in 1893. The Byzantian style was created by Don Carlos Young, the son of Brigham Young. The Temple Annex was replaced with this structure in 1966. In 2021, a major renovation of Temple Square was announced. Among the plans are the demolition of the Temple Annex. It will be replaced by two new patron pavilions.