Defining 75 miles of the northcentral coast of the South Island is the U-shaped Tasman Bay. Captain James Cook originally called these waters Blind Bay during his circumnavigation of New Zealand aboard the HMS Endeavour in 1770. The Māori name is Te Tai-o-Aorere. This view from Nelson’s waterfront shows the sandy beach and pine trees on Haulashore Island. During the mid-19th century, three forts occupied these 1.2 acres. In front of it is Arrow Rock. This islet is also called Fifeshire Rock, named after an early immigrant ship that was wrecked here in 1842.